History of the building

Home > The Old Courthouse > History of the building

outside of the courthouse

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE OLD COURTHOUSE

The Courthouse of Ruthin symbolises the recovery of the Ruthin lordship after Owain Glyndŵr's revolt. Trees were felled in 1421 to build it and it is believed the original building consisted of a central open hall for the courthouse set between two storeyed end bays.

TUDOR AND STUART CHANGES

After 1507, the ground floor became engulfed by shops and three stumpy projections were added to the south side, at least one with a foundry. From the early sixteenth century its most consistent name was the Pendist. The courtroom survived until replaced by the new Shire Hall in 1663. The Pendist was the scene of the execution of Father (now Saint) Charles Meehan, an Irish Franciscan in 1679. 

GEORGIAN SHOPS

Ruthin's largest Georgian shop developed in the Pendist. known as 'Old Hall’, and

the building from at least 1827 was mainly occupied by a grocery and ironmongery business. From 1850 to 1926, this was run by the same family and for most of this time their business was called Siop Pendre. The bankruptcy of the owners, the Castle Estate, led to the sale of the Courthouse in 1913.

RESTORATION

The National Provincial Bank purchased the building in 1923 and by 1926 proceeded with a much-needed restoration. The bank demolished the rear extensions. Centuries of adaptations to provide commercial space were stripped away. The restoration reinstated the original concept of an open hall and the Courthouse has become one of the most photographed buildings in Wales.